Skip to main content

Musings During Quarantine

Pieces of this have been going around in my mind and my heart during the last month or so. I believe the Lord is trying to use this time to get my attention, while everything slows down, and I’m guessing God may be doing the same in you too. Yet, I'm struggling to not fill the quiet with more distractions of my own, even though many of the external ones have quieted. Are you?

God has prompting me to wonder a lot of things. What if this time is an opportunity for us, individually and as a culture, to redefine a few words, like…
  • Productivity: What if productivity doesn’t mean accomplishing our entire to-do lists, but rather, leaving things undone to have meaningful, quality time with our people, God or ourselves? Who’s keeping track of our home stuff right now besides having food, water and clean-ish clothes and dishes anyway? 
  • Success: What if being successful means I model for my loved ones (and littles) listening to my body, heart and needs and expressing myself in loving ways to my people, including asking for what I need? Maybe this will help my people feel safe to do the same with me?
    • Doing this well means taking care of ourselves (needs, faith, wants, food, exercise, breaks), our families and our homes.
    • Yes we are more mindful, but that doesn’t need to equate to fear or anxiety. We can only control what we can control and take the precautions we know to take.
    • Lowering our expectations of what this “should” look like. Any answer other than trying to remain as peaceful as we can and holding space for ourselves and each other in our homes is not worth listening to.
    • Being intentional to have meaningful connections with those we love outside our homes in new (or new again) ways (FaceTime, Skype, Google Meets, Marco Polo, sending written notes and cards through snail mail, making sure to look people in the eye - across the street - say hi and smile)
  • We are all doing the best we can in extremely stressful and unusually demanding circumstances, just being parents and partners in marriage alone.
  • Then you add all the normal responsibilities of feeding your crew, keeping the house in a livable state for the group, bathing the kids (and yourself), trying to find structure when you and your partner are the only one to put it in place, and all the other things and it’s bound to catch you not at your best some of the time. That’s normal. So is apologizing when we lose our cool, so our kids learn to do the same.
I know there’s still a lot I need to learn through all of this. Some of it is being quiet enough, long enough, to listen to myself instead of all the “noise” that I am tempted to. The noise is the easy out, and while I have definitely used it at times to distract myself from feeling all the feelings, talking through the hard spots as well as appreciating the good ones, I’m trying to practice moments of quiet. And being brave enough to ask my inner self (at many different ages and stages), the following questions.

“Is there anything you need to tell me, that you haven’t yet? 
Is there any pain or joy or anything else we haven’t yet brought into the light together before the Lord?
Is there healing or reassurance or a new perspective you need?
We can work through any of that together and God will help us.”

Lastly, I am reminding myself and you again, that you are not alone. You are loved by an intentional, faithful, kind, gentle, thoughtful, caring, healing, redeeming God. God calls you BELOVED and that is the most true thing about you - you are BELOVED by God. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Campus Crusade Update

As the school year is up and running and staff and students are finding their grooves, we continue to wait on the Lord. We have found the last year of raising support to be the source of a lot of growth for us. God has been teaching us so much and helping us to understand that He is in control, which means we don’t have to be. And we can’t be. That has been a very challenging lesson to learn. That being said, we would like to let you know where we are at in raising support and what our situation is at the time. We are currently in a place of great difficulty in making consistent progress on a weekly and monthly basis. Due to the economy, among other factors, we are not raising support at a level with which is projecting a reasonable finish date. Our support coach has helped us to look at our progress objectively, and in the last several months, despite hundreds of phone calls every month, we are having a hard time connecting with people. Taking all of that into con

Carry Me

Today I got to carry you on a walk, in which you usually set a pretty fast pace without many rests along the way But today, you needed me you reached up with open arms and without any words I knew So, I picked you up and felt the beauty of your weight in my arms and the heat from our exercise emanating forth you snuggled your sweaty head nuzzled into my neck and whispered "mucky" I said "I love you too, mucky" And I carried you in silence in beauty with gratitude and you grounded me to this moment right now as your strong mama in whose arms you find so many things My son, in whose heart I see the joy of the Lord in whose eyes, I see my own in whose heart, I sense such an amazing knowing that I cannot articulate, because I don't fully understand it yet, myself Today, I helped you take a load off your feet and your growing legs and rest your tired body. You helped my heart soar and my soul know the peace of God in such an i

Dear Me - About Christmas Day (2022)

Dear Me, What if letting Christmas Day unfold as it wills, be open and cozy and warm, but no frills is exactly how this day is just meant to be? What if unstructured play time  is the best plan of all? Not stressfully packing the car to the brim, but being wide open to following whims? Rather than dodging big snow drifts and weaving through cars, crossing of "all that you needed to bring,"  both to near and to far, parenting through crying or even some screams... What if today gets to be peaceful and quiet, with time to enjoy playing, relaxing, freedom, new toys? Reading new books, trying out clothes, games and things; room to explore and dream up new dreams. Maybe the best thing to do is have nowhere to be, except here with ourselves and each other and of course, baby Je(sus). I think that the Holiest Spirit would say:  "don't worry about the details,  today's already perfectly made." Merry Christmas, indeed.